Arcus 98 DA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Smoke14

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  09:34:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Considered by many a BHP "clone". Bigger than HP, with a double action trigger. Actually shoots better than my HP. Took it apart and polished moving parts with 1000 grit sandpaper. Also replaced main spring with a wolf HP 26#; had to cut off a few coils. The trigger bar spring is a bitch to get back in. May try my hand at refinishing.

Edited by - Smoke14 on 02/16/2014 18:45:23

Burgs

USA
1971 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  12:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smoke14,

Nice! I definitely see the attraction. Can your Arcus take HP mags?

Cordially, ~Burgs

I've been up early my entire life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day that something could go wrong.
- Inspector O
Go to Top of Page

ekimnelo

78 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2011 :  18:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking pistol - never heard of it tip now. Who makes it and do they have a website?

Thanks for the info

Regards

Is this the change they wanted????
Go to Top of Page

Smoke14

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  03:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Burgs: It doesn't take regular mags, they're too short, but I can use the 20 rd asian mags from CDNN. There is a lip on the back of the 20 round mag that you either have to hammer or dremel so the mag will fit. Still scratches the casing when it feeds, but hasn't jammed yet. I'm using those for practice. The company also makes a compact model. It's a 13 rounder so I'm thinking the regular hi power mags will fit in it.

Ekimnelo: The manufacturer site is http://www.arcus-bg.com/, it's bulgarian. The importer is www.centuryarms.com.
Go to Top of Page

Burgs

USA
1971 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  16:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smoke14,

Thank You for the information on your Arcus. Nice collection you have there!

Cordially, ~Burgs

I've been up early my entire life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day that something could go wrong.
- Inspector O
Go to Top of Page

tekarra

651 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  19:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ekimnelo,
Arcus is made in Bulgaria. I see them listed by Century Arms. For information you can search various forums or go to www.world.guns.ru for a brief write up.
Go to Top of Page

ekimnelo

78 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2011 :  19:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank for your responses. I appreciate people and fellow gun enthusiastists who do so.

Regards

Is this the change they wanted????
Go to Top of Page

Tomb

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  17:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smoke sorry but that CZ just shouldn't be in that picture, ya feel me.
Go to Top of Page

Smoke14

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  17:20:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know what I was thinkin. Coulda been worse, coulda been my Glock.
Go to Top of Page

Tomb

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2011 :  18:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahhhhhhh, oh your pic looks great as is!

Edited by - Tomb on 01/27/2011 18:45:00
Go to Top of Page

Smoke14

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  05:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Liked the 98 so much, I got it's little brother - the 98 DAC. It shoots just as well and the magazines are interchangeable with my Hi Power. Also did the refinishing thing with the 98DA. Took it apart, degreased with brake cleaner, and painted with Duplicolor engine paint from NAPA. Baked in the oven for 2 hours at 350. Have used and cleaned it twice since then and haven't noticed the color coming off. Looks surprisingly good.

Also seem to be in a buying frenzy; got a Browning BDM off Auction Arms. Pretty cool, it has a selector for "Pistol" or "Revolver" mode. Revolver mode is DAO, so the hammer doesn't cock itself after each shot. The double-action trigger is the best I've felt.

Edited by - Smoke14 on 02/16/2014 19:07:50
Go to Top of Page

tekarra

651 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  18:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smoke,
Interesting group of pistols you have, some them are familiar. Let me pose a question to you. Is the grip, and magazine, of the 98 DAC shorter than that of the 98DA?

I had a BDM some years back, and although I liked the pistol, the R mode trigger was the worst trigger I ever experienced. The pull was so mushy feeling that I sold the pistol. Yours seems to be very different so it should be a keeper.
Go to Top of Page

the perfesser

39 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  21:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smoke14 --
The CZ75B belongs in your picture. It's the pistol that pointed me toward HPs, and in its own right a wonder.....
Go to Top of Page

Burgs

USA
1971 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  21:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfesser,

If he put all that stuff into one picture we wouldn't be able to make out which gun was which... :-)

Cordially, ~Burgs

- Inspector O
Go to Top of Page

Smoke14

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  03:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tekarra

Smoke,
Interesting group of pistols you have, some them are familiar. Let me pose a question to you. Is the grip, and magazine, of the 98 DAC shorter than that of the 98DA?

I had a BDM some years back, and although I liked the pistol, the R mode trigger was the worst trigger I ever experienced. The pull was so mushy feeling that I sold the pistol. Yours seems to be very different so it should be a keeper.

Both the Grip and magazines are shorter on the DAC. The magazines on the DAC are interchangeable with my hi power, the grips aren't. I like the BDM so far. I'd probably keep it anyway just for the oddity factor.
Go to Top of Page

Smoke14

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2011 :  03:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the perfesser

Smoke14 --
The CZ75B belongs in your picture. It's the pistol that pointed me toward HPs, and in its own right a wonder.....

I also had a 75B before I got the others. Only thing I dislike on the 75B is the trigger reach. I have smallish hands and while it is not really uncomfortable, it's not as comfortable as the Hi Power and the Arcus. I'm thinking of getting either a 75B compact or an EAA Witness Compact next, or maybe one in 40 S&W. I may have to stop buying guns for awhile to stay married ... or maybe not.
Go to Top of Page

the perfesser

39 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2011 :  18:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smoke14:
The CZ75B Compact fascinates me as well. But since I already have a CZ 2075 RAMI, I can't formulate even a forced justification for it. And I also want to keep the wife..... Having more than one HP is already a stretch!

Oh -- and to set the matter straight -- your CZ belongs in your first set of photos. Plenty of room there! :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Browning Hi-Power Owner's Forum © HiPowerTalk.com 2007 - 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000