Shooting +P ammo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mark2734

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  20:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello. New to the forum and have a question about shooting +P ammo.

Over on the 1911 Forum in the BHP subforum someone quoted Cylinder & Slide as telling them to NEVER shoot +P ammo.

It seems to me the BHP, designed as a military weapon and using NATO spec ammo, has been going strong for years with heavy loads.

Can anyone say for sure if shooting +P ammo has damaged their gun?

Lets talk guns

gp35fn

814 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2011 :  22:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like any machine anytime you go past standard operating pressures you're going to cut into it's lifespan,a +P load is a 10% overload, so repeated use of +P will accelerate wear. I still have a FN 72C that has over 5,000 +P rounds out of her, she still shoots, but if I had to over again, I'd of stuck with normal pressure loads.If you got to do the +P route replace your springs with heavier one's-this will help to a degree, but unless there's a reason, I'd stick to normal pressure loads.

Edited by - gp35fn on 06/02/2011 22:50:49
Go to Top of Page

bountyhunter

295 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  14:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
C+S woould have to say never to use +p since the gun was not designed for it. Legal liability issue.
Go to Top of Page

Stickmaker

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  16:01:01  Show Profile  Visit Stickmaker's Homepage  Send Stickmaker an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Remember, the original HP-35 was designed before NATO existed. Though I imagine that if it were later adopted for used by a NATO nation the design would have been strengthened, if necessary.

Just passin' through.
Go to Top of Page

Burgs

USA
1519 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2011 :  16:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stickmaker

Remember, the original HP-35 was designed before NATO existed. Though I imagine that if it were later adopted for used by a NATO nation the design would have been strengthened, if necessary.

Canada is still using the Inglis...

Cordially, ~Burgs
Go to Top of Page

Lupus

5 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  06:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After the introduction of the .40 SW BHPs, all the frames, slides and parts are upgraded to hold up pretty well with that hot ammo. The .40 SW and 9x19 mm MKIII frames are exactly the same. Other than the locking lug numbers, the slide metallurgy is also exactly the same in both calibers. So, with proper spring arrengement it will be safe to shoot + P ammo in BHP MKIIIs wwhile remembering using high pressure ammo in any handgun will accelarate wear...
Go to Top of Page

chuntaro

USA
1272 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  20:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it depends on when the mk lll nine was made whether it has the same construction as the 40 s and w.
Go to Top of Page

mark2734

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  23:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True, but I've never heard anything about the Hi Power being considered fragile or a weak design, even shooting NATO spec ammo.

quote:
Originally posted by Stickmaker

Lets talk guns
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Browning Hi-Power Owner's Forum © HiPowerTalk.com 2007 - 2011 Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000